In 1956 the movie Baby Doll starring Carroll Baker gave origin to the popularity of the “baby doll” nightgown, the costume worn by Baker’s childlike sensual character in the film. Although the film was heavily censored and banned in some countries, the baby doll style gained force and more than 50 years later it is still fashionable.
If you have been living on another planet and have failed to see Hollywood icons like Sandra Bullockwearing baby doll dresses, don’t worry you are not too late to catch up. A baby doll dress is, as you can imagine, highly inspired on the baby doll nightgown.
The dress is feminine, and flirty, ideal for those days when you are feeling a bit bloated. It usually skims gracefully through curves accentuating your best assets like beautiful breasts or a great pair of legs.
How to Wear a Baby Doll Dress
The thing about a baby doll dress is that it can make you look incredibly sexy or horrendously ridiculous. If you have an ample bosom and relatively flat stomach this look can make you look both sweet and sexy. However, if you have heavy thighs you would be better wearing a long version.
- Get proper support from your underwear. This goes for every item of clothing. Proper underwear that holds everything in place can make a big difference to your overall look. If you want to wear a baby doll dress with a deep plunging neckline choose a push-up bra to enhance your assets, this will drive attention away from ‘problem’ areas and will help the effect of the hourglass figure. Some of the Victoria’s secretbaby doll dresses come with in-built brassieres.
- The length: Just a few inches above the knee is best. If you are petite, you can wear it a bit shorter but not too much. Bear in mind that baby doll dresses are flowy and they will “show off” in a windy day. Which takes me to the next rule for wearing a baby doll dress: never wear one during a windy day or for doing vigorous dancing like a Ceilidh or a Salsa party unless of course you want to show your “jewels” on every turn!
- High heels go very well with baby doll dresses. Look at Paris Hilton wedges, they are just perfect for her dress, not too flashy but with enough added high. If you are wearing your dress on the beach, you can even get flip flops with a little heel or wedge to add high and glamour.
- Printed dresses look better on tall girls. If you are petite a one colour only dress will look nicer on you. If you have a small bust, you can enhance its looks with a different bust colour, like the Paris Hilton dress on the right.
- To avoid the “pregnant” look you should wear appropriate make up and avoid going out with a “morning sickness” look. Wear high heels and walk tall! Look at the model on the right, she is wearing a vibrant red babydoll dress with high heels and proper make up you cannot say that she looks pregnant, she just looks stunning!